The following information constitutes the general guidelines for the Fine Arts Scholarships (FAS) awarded by the College of Creative Arts. Applicants and recipients should review their respective School’s specific scholarship information found on each School’s website. Recipients are also bound to the guidelines stated in their individual letter of award.
General InformationThe Fine Arts Scholarship (FAS) covers tuition expenses (equal to a full in-state or out-of-state tuition waiver) for one or two semesters during any given academic year.
- All fees, housing, medical, etc. remains the student’s responsibility.
- All awards are competitive and are granted on the basis of demonstrated talent, academic achievement, and the potential for success in the recipient’s respective program.
- Awards are not based on the recipient’s current or future financial need.
FAS and West Virginia Promise Scholarships:
- In-state students must notify the CCA if they will be receiving a West Virginia Promise Scholarship.
- As the Promise Scholarship is also a form of tuition waiver, recipients can only receive one form The Promise Scholarship will always supersede the FAS award.
- Should a recipient of a Promise Scholarship also be slated to receive an FAS award, the FAS award will be rescinded.
- Pending the availability and use of other cash scholarship awards within the College, the CCA will attempt to replace part of the FAS award with a cash award.
EligibilityRecipients must be unconditionally admitted into West Virginia University (WVU) as a major in one of the CCA’s, programs for the upcoming academic year or already be actively pursuing a course of study as a CCA’s major at WVU.
- Recipients must file a current FAFSA form along with any other appropriate financial aid documents with the WVU Office of Financial Aid.
- At the time of application for the award, incoming freshman must have a cumulative GPA of at least 2.5 based on a 4.0 scale.
- All recipients must enroll as “full-time” students at WVU.
- Students pursuing a minor (unless it is in tandem with another CCA major) are ineligible for FAS.
- FAS awards are only for students pursuing their first degree at WVU. Second degree students are ineligible.
- Students with more than eight (8) semesters of enrollment at WVU are ineligible.
ApplicationEach School uses its own application and review process to select the recipients for the FAS awards. To apply, students can download the Scholarship Application from their respective School’s web site. Each applicant must complete an interview/audition. The application/interview process requirements vary by School.
RenewalTo be considered for any future awards after the current academic year, a student must reapply in the spring semester of that year.
- Awards are only guaranteed for one year.
- Student must maintain a 2.5 cumulative GPA.
- Students who receive a FAS may only renew the award for up to eight semester of enrollment at WVU.
- Although not a requirement for maintaining or renewing the FAS award, recipients are strongly encouraged to be active and visible participants in special scholarship/recruitment events hosted by the College and their respective School.
RevocationAfter the receipt of your award, students are expected to:
- Maintain a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.5 at WVU during the 2011-2012 academic year.
- Be enrolled as a full-time student at West Virginia University (12 or more credit hours).
- Maintain major status in their respective School.
- Follow the printed curriculum for their particular program of study within the CCA. Failure to follow the curriculum may be considered grounds for termination of your award.