Percussion Audition Requirements
Percussion (BM Performance, Education, Composition, Therapy. BA, BS)
Snare drum: Medium to advanced rudimental solo/etude, medium to advanced concert solo/etude, open and closed rolls to be performed, selected rudiments to be performed, sight reading.
Keyboard percussion: All major scales and arpeggios, medium to advanced 2 mallet solo/etude in a classical or contemporary style, sight reading, 4 mallet solo/etude in a classical or contemporary style (suggested, but not required)
- Timpani: Medium 4 drum solo/etude. Tuning within the piece is not required. Drum tuning will be asked apart from the etude/solo
- 3 different styles on the drum set (rock, jazz, latin, or afro-cuban, etc.). Record 3 different tracks which each lasting approximately 1 minute in length.
- Video should demonstrate good control/timing of the style, and ability to improvise (add fills).
- Record an intermediate snare drum solo. Recommended: Mitchell Peters Intermediate Snare Drum book https://www.steveweissmusic.com/product/intermediate-snare-drum-studies-mitchell-peters/snare-drum-books. (Students may play any solos from Nos. 1 through 15 for the audition)
Jazz Studies Requirements
1. Demonstrate timekeeping and comping in a jazz style at various tempos in 4/4 time with sticks and brushes.
2. Demonstrate timekeeping and fills in at least three of the following styles:
- Bossa Nova
- Afro-Cuban 6/8
- Jazz in 3/4 Time
- Jazz in 5/4 Time
- New Orleans Traditional “Second Line” Rhythm
Soloing and Trading:
1. Alternate between four-measure phrases of timekeeping and four-measure phrases of soloing in a jazz style.
2. Improvise multiple choruses of soloing in a jazz style over the form of a jazz standard of your choice.
1. Sight read and interpret a big band chart.
2. Sight read and interpret a lead sheet in a jazz style.