WVU Theatre & Dance at the FREDDY© Awards
WVU Theatre & Dance is excited to participate with this year’s FREDDY© Awards! The award presented will provide a scholarship from WVU and the School of Theatre Dance, which when combined with other awards from West Virginia University, will be equivalent to the cost of university tuition. The award is renewable over 8 semesters of study. The Application will open on March 1st and close on May 8th.
Students interested in enrolling in WVU School of Theatre and Dance in the Fall of 2022 as Musical Theatre or Design & Technology majors are encouraged to apply.
Below are the requirements for the audition and portfolio submissions. Students interested in participating must submit both the application and their audition or portfolio materials by May10th 2021. Interviews will be scheduled for the afternoon of May17th 2021 beginning at 3:30pm. All interviews will be conducted via Zoom.
Songs and Monologues
Two contrasting songs that show both your acting and vocal range and ability: One up tempo and one ballad.
One of those selections should feature the entire song while the second should be a 32 bar cutting (which number is in its entirety and which is a cutting is the candidate’s choice). Selections should be memorized for performance.
- Please know the shows from which you are choosing the songs to show your understanding
of the character and motivations behind the song.
A one-minute monologue fully-realized and memorized.
- Prepare a 20 to 30 second jazz or musical theatre combination, original or from MT repertoire
- Perform a double pirouette
- Perform a triple time step
Theatre Design and Technology
- You must be currently attending a school which is participating in the 2021 Freddy Awards.
- You must be in either your junior or senior year (if a senior student, please note the award will not be available until Fall of 2022)
Please contact James Froemel, Recruitment Specialist, at 304-293-4339 or firstname.lastname@example.org.