Faculty Professional Grants
The CCA Faculty Professional Grant program was created to support activities that lead to professional development, travel and community engagement for faculty in the College of Creative Arts. It is intended to be used either in conjunction with other West Virginia University internal grant opportunities or as a single grant.
Additional grant opportunities are offered by the University and are administered separately from the CCA Faculty Professional Grant program. These grant opportunities include:
- Research and
Scholarship Advancement Grants
- Grants for Community
- Conference Grants
For information, deadlines, and application procedures for these particular University grants, faculty members should go to: http://research.wvu.edu/researchers/funding/internal-grants
The new WVU Humanities Center coordinates a variety of grants that promote and support humanities scholarship. For information, faculty members should go to:
The CCA Faculty Professional Grant program cannot
- Activities for which a faculty member receives a stipend or honorarium for attendance or participation.
- Activities that are outside the faculty member’s area of expertise.
- Activity or travel to attend a performance or exhibition that is not directly related to the faculty member’s research agenda.
- In any given year, the College may receive more requests for
support than it can fully fund. Because of this, only one (1) application per faculty member will be funded per academic
- A faculty member may apply for funding either before or after the
development activity has taken place, however funds will only be
dispersed AFTER the completion of the approved activity and only with
the appropriate receipts.
- Applicants who have outstanding balances from previous awards or
who have not submitted the required documentation from previous awards shall be
considered ineligible until those issues are resolved with
the CCA Expert Business Office (CCA EBO).
APPLICATION DEADLINES FOR 2018-2019
There is a rolling deadline for the CCA Faculty Professional
- Applications may be submitted anytime between July 1, 2018 and May
31, 2019 for activity occurring between July 1, 2018 and June 30, 2019.
- Please note that due to the change of fiscal years, applications
are not accepted during the month of June.
AWARD AMOUNTS FOR 2018-2019
The maximum award for 2018-2019 is $250.
MAKING AN APPLICATION
To be considered for a grant, the faculty member must complete the CCA Faculty Professional Grant application.
- After completing the application, the faculty member should save
it as a PDF and forward it digitally to the Director of their
respective School for review and approval.
- If the Director at the school level approves the application, the Director will forward the application digitally to John Hendricks, Associate Dean, for review and action.
- Forwarding of the PDF by the Director to the Office of the Dean will constitute the Directors electronic approval of the application.
- Applications submitted directly to the Office of the Dean without
a Director’s approval will be returned to the faculty member.
The Associate Dean of the College will evaluate all applications. To be considered for support, the applicant must submit a complete and comprehensible application.
- In the “Brief Description Statement” section of the application,
the faculty member will ideally address:
- A description of the professional activity.
- The faculty member’s involvement in the activity.
- How the activity contributes to the professional development of the faculty member as an artist, researcher, service provider, and/or teacher.
- The significance of the activity and level of importance in the faculty member’s field.
- How the activity fits into the faculty member’s research agenda.
- The relationship between the proposed activity and one or more elements of the mission of the College of Creative Arts and West Virginia University, (i.e., teaching, research and service.)
ADMINISTRATION, NOTIFICATION, AND AWARD
Within 2 weeks after submission, the faculty member will receive an electronic notification regarding the decision.
- If an award has been granted, the recipient should see Lian DeLeon, Accounting Assistant II, in the CCA EBO to activate the
grant and review the policies and procedures required for the disbursement of
the awarded funds.
- Failure to contact the CCA EBO may result in the award being rescinded.
- If travel is involved with the activity, the applicant must
complete the WVU Travel Authorization Form.
- The Director of the appropriate School must approve the Travel Authorization Form.
- Although this form is submitted after the activity, the signatures and dates must be dated in advance of the proposed travel activity.
- After the activity, the recipient should submit the Travel Authorization Form in hard copy along with any reimbursement paperwork to Lian DeLeon, Accounting Assistant II, in the CCA EBO.
- The College and University cannot advance any funds for the purpose of these development activities.
- Generally, expenses associated with the activity are covered through reimbursement only.
- In some cases, the CCA may be able to assist in directly purchasing tickets for travel, prepaid lodging cost, or special conference registration. The EBO can assist the faulty member in defining the eligibility of this type of assistance.
- Faculty are to obtain the best possible estimates for travel expenses. If assistance is needed, you may ask Lian DeLeon in the Expert Business Office. Mileage is $ .535 per mile (please check with Lian for most up to date rate); meals (per diem) for many cities can be calculated by going to: http://www.gsa.gov/portal/category/21287
- As of September 2017, faculty and staff are
expected to use the new travel and expense management tool, MyExpenses, in order to seek reimbursements and
reconcile any P-card purchases.
Questions can be directed to the CCA EBO.
- Post travel reports and receipts must be provided within 10 working days of the completed activity to receive any reimbursement for expenditures. Failure to provide the appropriate receipts and documentation may result in the award being rescinded.
Faculty are recommended to use MyTravel to book travel arrangements.
If you have any questions, first see the Director of your appropriate School. For additional information concerning CCA Faculty or University grants, please contact John Hendricks, Associate Dean.