BFA Acting applicants should prepare two contrasting monologues and consider the following guidelines in their presentation:
- For your two monologues: Select one dramatic and one comedic – both from contemporary plays after
- The monologue package should be between 3 and 4 minutes total.
- Your monologue package material should be age-appropriate (your age to 30 years
- Read the plays from which you are selecting monologue material for presentation.
This will allow you to make appropriate choices for the material as well as demonstrate
an understanding of the play and the characters.
- Hand props such as a letter or handkerchief are allowed but nothing on a larger
- Wear audition attire (nice and casual, but comfortable daytime attire); no costuming.
- Be prepared to present a third monologue of your choice and preference if asked.
- Avoid dialects, extreme profanity, crying or yelling to show emotion.
- You may sing 16 or 32 bars of a song from a musical in addition to the monologue
package (This presentation will not be included within the 3-4 minute time limit
for the monologue package.)
- An accompanist will be provided. Please have appropriate sheet music in your key.
- No a cappella performances or use of recorded tracks are allowed.
Singing is NOT required for the BFA Acting audition nor for
admittance to this degree program, but we invite potential students to present
this additional talent during this process: While the BFA in Acting,
the BFA in Musical Theatre, and the BA in Dance are separate degree
programs, class curriculum for these performance degrees does overlap at times
in our efforts to best educate future artists.