WVU School of Music Tenor Trombone/Bass Trombone applicants should refer to the following guidelines for their audition.
Applicants are encouraged to prepare the following:
Two contrasting movements from the solo repertoire. Suggested works:
Tenor: David Concertino (mvt 1+2), Saint-Saens Cavatine or comparable selection
Bass: Lebedev Concerto in One movement, Koetsier Allegro Maestoso or comparable selection
At least one etude. Suggested etude books:
Tenor: Bordogni Vocalises, Voxman Selected Studies
Bass: Bordogni Vocalises (down octave)
(Optional, but encouraged) - Showcase ability in jazz/commercial/electronic music. This can take the form of preparing a lead/bass trombone part from a swing, funk, Latin/salsa chart, and/or improvising over a blues, rhythm changes, or other standard tune(s).
Additional Requirements for Performance (BM)
At least three standard excerpts (e.g. Berlioz: Hungarian March, Wagner: The Ride of the Valkyries).
One contrasting etude (e.g. Bordogni, Kopprasch, Blazhevich, Tyrell).
Applicants are encouraged to showcase their versatility on the trombone and use appropriate stylistic effects (e.g. plunger mute). Please prepare the following:
- One piece from the classical trombone repertoire (i.e. a solo, etude or movement from a concerto or sonata) that demonstrates an understanding of classical trombone tone, phrasing, and style.
- Major scales. Additional scales are encouraged if prepared. (you may submit these with your audition videos, but may be asked to play again during your interview with the Jazz faculty)
- Chromatic scale from lowest to highest notes.
- Solo transcription, or jazz etude (in swing, funk or Latin/salsa styles).
- Play the melody and improvise over one jazz standard and medium tempo blues of choice. Be prepared to improvise for several choruses.
- Possible jazz standards options (but not limited to these): There Will Never Be Another You, Autumn Leaves, It Could Happen to You, All the Things You Are, Blue Bossa, All of Me, Four, On Green Dolphin Street, etc.
- Applicants must provide their own accompaniment! Play-alongs or good quality accompaniment tracks are acceptable.
- (Optional but encouraged): Demonstrate lead or bass playing ability by preparing two contrasting excerpts.
Feel free to reach out to Hakeem Bilal ( firstname.lastname@example.org ) with any questions about musical selections.