Submission Instructions: Please note that the following are general guidelines for applicants and not intended to be all encompassing criteria that each candidate must possess for consideration. Applicants are not expected to address each of the listed criteria; however; to be competitive, candidates will have significant contributions in the identified areas.
The award evaluates a record covering the past calendar year: January 1, 2021 through December 31, 2021. Additional information from a previous year may be submitted if it helps support the application (e.g. continuing creative research activity, long-term curriculum development, etc.). Adjunct faculty whose first semester started in August 2021 are not eligible for this 2022 Adjunct Faculty Excellence Award.
Award for Adjunct Faculty Excellence
Below are the possible elements to address in the narrative statement. These elements also serve as the criteria on which the awardee will be selected as demonstrated by the narrative, student evaluations, and other supporting materials.
- Interest and enthusiasm for undertaking teaching and for promoting student learning.
- Ability to arouse curiosity and to stimulate independent learning and the development of critical thought.
- Ability to organize course material and to present it cogently and imaginatively.
- Participation in the effective guidance and mentoring of students.
- Method(s) for appropriate assessment, including providing worthwhile feedback to students on their learning.
- Ability to assist students to participate and achieve success in their courses.
- Command of the subject matter, including the incorporation in teaching of recent developments in the field of study.
- Participation in professional activities and research related to teaching.
- Involvement in curriculum development.
- Interest and enthusiasm for incorporating multicultural perspectives into one's disciplinary courses and for promoting student understanding of these perspectives.
- Draws, incorporates, and discusses current and emerging technologies in course discussion, material presentation, and assessment.
- Demonstrated excellence in raising student awareness, understanding, and deployment of technology.
- Demonstrated excellence in enhancing student learning outcomes as a result of deploying technology.
- Inclusion of other activities that may not have been addressed by the guidelines stated above.
Process and Nomination Guidelines:
- The CCA Executive Planning Council will serve as the Outstanding Faculty Teaching Award Committee.
- The Committee reviews all submitted materials. One faculty from the college will be selected to receive the award. All full-time faculty are eligible for this award.
- Nominations are accepted from a faculty member in the college, from a student, or a faculty member may self-nominate. Each School’s FEPT Committee will also place one name into nomination based on the review of the annual productivity files.
- School directors, the assistant and associate deans, and the dean may not nominate a faculty member for the award.
- The nomination form is found at the end of these guidelines.
- A person should not receive the award more than once in a three-year period.
- The nomination packet must include the following:
- Nomination form (submit online) that includes a narrative statement from the nominator outlining the nominee’s self-development efforts in the teaching area, creative activities in teaching, and other pertinent data on teaching.
- A list of courses taught by the nominee over the review period including enrollment and credit hours.
- Representative course syllabi, handouts, and teaching aids.
- A summary of SEIs over the review period. Evaluations of academic advising are also encouraged, if applicable.
- Evidence of research or service activities relative to teaching.
- Any other information regarding teaching activity provided by the nominee to support this packet. Information will be pulled from Digital Measures for faculty nominated by the School’s FEPT Committee.
- All nomination packets are to be submitted electronically by April 4, 2022. Please submit to Theresa.Rhodes@mail.wvu.edu