Submission Instructions: Please note that the following are general guidelines for applicants and not intended to be all encompassing criteria that each candidate must possess for consideration. Applicants are not expected to address each of the listed criteria; however; to be competitive, candidates will have significant contributions in the identified areas.
The award evaluates a record covering the past calendar year: January 1, 2022 through December 31, 2022. Additional information from a previous year may be submitted if it helps support the application (e.g. continuing creative research activity, long-term curriculum development, etc.). Adjunct faculty whose first semester started in August 2022 are not eligible for this 2023 Adjunct Faculty Excellence Award.
Award for Adjunct Faculty Excellence:
Below are the possible elements to address in the narrative statement. These elements also serve as the criteria on which the awardee will be selected as demonstrated by the narrative, student evaluations, and other supporting materials.
- Interest and enthusiasm for undertaking teaching and for promoting student learning.
- Ability to inspire curiosity and to encourage independent learning and the development of critical thought.
- Ability to organize course material and to present it cogently and imaginatively.
- Participation in the effective guidance and mentoring of students.
- Method(s) for appropriate assessment, including providing worthwhile feedback to students on their learning.
- Ability to assist students to participate and achieve success in their courses.
- Command of the subject matter, including the incorporation in teaching of recent developments in the field of study.
- Participation in professional activities and research related to teaching.
- Involvement in curriculum development.
- Interest and enthusiasm for incorporating multicultural perspectives into one's disciplinary courses and for promoting student understanding of these perspectives.
- Draws, incorporates, and discusses current and emerging technologies in course discussion, material presentation, and assessment.
- Demonstrated excellence in raising student awareness, understanding, and deployment of technology.
- Demonstrated excellence in enhancing student learning outcomes as a result of deploying technology.
- Inclusion of other activities that may not have been addressed by the guidelines stated above.
Process and Nomination Guidelines:
- The CCA Executive Planning Council will serve as the Adjunct Faculty Excellence Award Committee.
- The Committee reviews all submitted materials. One adjunct faculty from the College of Creative Arts will be selected to receive the award. The Committee has the right not to select a recipient if they feel the overall award criteria has not been met.
- Nominations are accepted from a faculty member in the College, from a student, or an adjunct faculty member may self-nominate.
- School directors, the associate deans, and the dean may not nominate a faculty member for the award.
- The nomination form is found at the end of these guidelines.
- A person should not receive the award more than once in a three-year period.
- The nomination packet must include the following:
- Nomination form (submit online) that includes a narrative statement from the nominator outlining the nominee’s self-development efforts in the teaching area, creative activities in teaching, and other pertinent data on teaching.
A summary of student course evaluations over the evaluation period.
A list of courses taught by the nominee over the evaluation period.
Representative course syllabi, handouts, and teaching aids.
Evidence of scholarly/professional activity or service activity relative to teaching. (optional – not required).
A narrative statement from the nominee outlining the nominee’s successes in the teaching area, creative activities in teaching, and other pertinent data on teaching.
- All nomination packets are to be submitted electronically by April 3, 2023. Please submit to Jodie.Lewis@mail.wvu.edu